Sunday, January 12, 2014

Egg-cellent Lunch

Today was a new adventure on the big green egg, a treat sure to please anyone.  Today the boys and I decided to make a fantastic lunch . . . . STROMBOLIS!!!!!  This delicious meal in a pocket is sure to astound even the most sophisticated taste buds.  The challenge comes down to the dough, ingredients and cooking times.

First the dough.


I used my new "EGG" dough mat to create the base for our meal.  The boys helped, we rotated the addition of each ingreadient to make sure everyone had a fair turn.  Once in the mixing bowl, we let it continue to knead for 6 minutes.  I think next time I will knead it longer, that might make it firmer.


I starterd the coals to the EGG.  I was able to get the temperature to 500 degrees for baking, once I reached that point I put the place setter in the EGG, followed by the grill grate and then on top of that I put the pizza stone.  I left this sit for 30 minutes to allow the stone to heat up to the proper temperature before placing the food inside.


Now we have an break in the action.  I was so EGG-cited to get the meal going that I forgoto to take some photos of my progress.  But a verbal recap, I rolled the dough out into rectangular sections to add ingredients.  We each chose different ingredients for our stromboli, added them to the dough leaving an empty edge to roll up and start the process.  Once rolled, I added some flavor to the crust and made some signature stromboli cuts to the dough to allow the insides to cook.  Now onto the EGG.


The one on the right looks the best as far as showing the most similarity to a stromboli with being golden borwn along with the dimensions.


Now they sit on the serviing platter, this is the last photo as I was too excited to cut them and taste.  I have to work on my form, but if you close your eyes and taste, you cannot tell a difference.  Keagan gave them a 10 star out of 10, yes, that is an official rating system.  The whole family enjoyed these.  Looks like I have a new meal to add to my egg recipes . . . still need to work on forming them properly, but delicious.





No comments:

Post a Comment